I carry no phone
An aspiring Luddite
In a wired world.
Jeff Berry is an early adopter of the Internet and the
Web, a late adopter of Twitter,
and declines to adopt Facebook or Livejournal. (Although he did succumb to the
lure of Google+.) He hates cell-phones.
Books, Bibliography and Other Things Bibliophilic
Bibliophilia, bordering on bilbiomania, seems much of a piece with the
general theme of this whole website - hey, "aspiring," remember? While
the advent of e-readers does not offend me in the way that, say, a table
full of people in a restaurant ignoring each other while they text does,
I personally have little interest in them. I like books, physical
objects that don't require batteries or wi-fi.
Manscript studies and palaeography feature strongly in my academic career, and
they deserve their own page.
For a few years now, off and on, I've been writing book reviews for
The Armchair Critic.
Almost none are of new books. Some are classics, some are old favorites
and some are, quite frankly, pretty random. You can start with this double
review of two books by
George Macdonald Fraser if you like.
Related Odds and Ends
- Engima by Robert Harris, review on The Armchair Critic, 9 JUN 2011
- Blind Faith by Ben Elton, review on The Armchair Critic, 23 NOV 2010
Bibliography for This Site
- Beard, James; Beard On Bread, 1973.
- David, Elizabeth; Elizabeth David Classics, 1980.
- Fearnley-Whittingstall, Hugh; The River Cottage Meat Book, 2007.
- Greco, Gina; et al.; Le Ménagier de Paris, 2009.
- Heiatt, Constance B.; and Sharon Butler Curye on Inglisch, 1985.
- Henderson, Fergus; The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating, 2004.
- Hillman, Howard; Great
Peasant Dishes of the World., 1983.
- May, Robert; The Accomplisht Cook, 1685. NB: this
is the facsimile edition. There are cheaper copies out there which are
scans of microfilms or such, their quality varies a great deal. Caveat emptor.
- Ruhlman, Michael and Polcy, Brian; Charcuterie, 2005. I reviewed this book in 2007. It got an A.
- Scully, Terence; The Viandier of Taillevent, 1988.